I woke up past 10 am today and I chanced upon the Quirino Grandstand mass of the Pope. Lucky me. You see, since this cold season set in, I would always go back to bed right after the kids had left for school. Bad habit...
But, back to Pope Francis.
I sat down and settled comfortably in our living room and watched ANC's live coverage. I was not surprised by the multitude of people. It was expected. Aside from being a country were majority are Catholics, Filipinos are sentimental and emotional.
When the 1995 Papal Visit theme song was being sang cameras were showing the mammoth crowd. Suddenly i felt a big lump in my throat. It was not the song, nor the Pope that made me cry, it was the unwavering faith of those people who braved the rain and stayed wet and cold the whole day just so they could receive the blessings of the Pope. It was truly amazing. Beyond words.
I am Catholic but I am not religious. I never defended Catholicism nor justified its practices to others. I avoid giving opinions on religions because for me faith is always a personal thing. Your relationship with God is something you cultivate, nourish and deepen. It should not depend on what sect you belong. However, I believe that everyone should have religion because their doctrines and teachings will serve as the moral compass in life. But again, each to his own.
But did I ever doubt my faith? Yes. But from the start, it was in my consciousness that I will never change my religion. I was born and raised Catholic and I will do the same to my children. Staying Catholic is my own way of honoring my maternal grandparents. They were devout Catholic, they were good people and they led a morally upright life.
Today is a renewal of faith for many of us, I guess.
May we stay blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment