I woke up from my deep sleep this morning around 3:00 am with a loud sound. When I looked around, our corridor light was off and there was no sound coming from the A/C. Brown out! I woke up Dar and we immediately went down to check our electric cabinet, but when I looked at our window, I saw the DEWA (electric and water supply company) car passing our street. After a few minutes of figuring out what might have happened with our electric supply, I checked the surroundings outside through our window and there I saw the substation across our house being inspected by the DEWA staff. We went out and this kabayan informed us that one of the cables caused the power outage. Ok! Relieved that it was not only us.
Around 4:00 am, I saw 4 white SUVs across the road and inspecting the substation. Around 5:00 am, my husband told me that there were trucks outside all lined up on our road. Around 6:00 am, temporary power was supplied to the household with these powerful generator sets:
I told our helper that if something like this happened in the Philippines at an unholy hour, I am sure we all have to wait all day before we could be attended, and power supply will depend on the extent of the damage. And NO generator sets will be provided to the consumers. Yes, services here are not cheap. In fact there was a time when I almost went crazy (that's exag, of course) because we were informed by my husband's company that our monthly water and electricity consumption had gone up to 7,000 AED. But now, I realized that if this is the quality of service that one would get I don't think consumers would mind paying that much.
Well, this is just one of the "comfortable things" you'll find when living in Dubai that's why I don't wonder anymore why there are so many expats from Europe and US who don't like to leave this place anymore. Me too is getting used to the comforts and easy life, not to mention the safety and security Dubai is quite known for. But sooner or later, we will have to say goodbye. :)
Anyway, power was restored before noon and roads were cleared now. Back to normal programming. :)
Have a blessed Sunday!



No comments:
Post a Comment