Last Tuesday was the Farewell Assembly (Graduation) of my two Grade 5 as they will now step up to the Middle Year Program of GEMS World Academy this coming School Year as Grade 6. It was just a simple ceremony which opened with a String Performance (violin and cello) of all the Grade 5 students which for some reasons were kinda surreal because I couldn't believe my children could ever experience being in this kind of environment. It was so inspiring and I really felt my children were so lucky to have been given the chance to be where they are right now.
If there were mistakes or somebody was off key, it was hardly noticed.
Everything sounded flawless.
Immediately after playing three concert pieces, the program proceeded to the Graduation rites. It was so simple and direct to the point. No speeches from VIPs, no guest of honors and performances or whatsoever. The highlights were the messages from section representatives, giving of certificates and acknowledgement of achievers.
On the photo is Anjo on the podium. I convinced Anjo to do this because I wanted her to conquer her shyness and feeling of inferiority. You see, during her first week in GWA, her teacher told me she seemed to be so scared and embarassed of her accent and where she came from. This was quite understandable because she was new and she was surrounded with classmates who mostly talked with British twang.
Here, Anjo is delivering her message on behalf of her section.
She together with another classmate represented 5DB. Go Darmarie and Darian!
The school also gave out Longest Staying Award (could be more than 1), Perfect Attendance (I have noticed only one from each class received this award) and Achievement Award (one from each section).
The Head of School also gave out The Most Improved Student Award which went to a Korean national who happened to be a very close friend of Anjo and very much deserving. Her English, Anjo told me was much much better now because she worked really hard, and of course her Math ability was beyond question. She was humble, easy to get along with and would always say hello to me when she'd see me in school or during accidental meeting in the mall.
There was also an award for the Highest Achiever and my god, the girl's achievements while being enumerated by the Head of School (who by the way is a tall guy from Canada and is half Filipino, and I am so proud of it) seemed to be endless - a sports enthusiast (swimmer, track and field and football player), a musician (guitar), singer (she was the most applauded in the talent show finale) and also excelled in academics. Does this girl ever sleep? Oh well...
There was also an award for the Highest Achiever and my god, the girl's achievements while being enumerated by the Head of School (who by the way is a tall guy from Canada and is half Filipino, and I am so proud of it) seemed to be endless - a sports enthusiast (swimmer, track and field and football player), a musician (guitar), singer (she was the most applauded in the talent show finale) and also excelled in academics. Does this girl ever sleep? Oh well...
But of course, my surprise came when our very own Abi was called to receive his Achiever Award. He was described as the true Mathematician by his teacher.
This made him so proud of himself and I am sure this will inspire him even more this coming school year. I told him to harness more his Math ability so he could join competitions next year. I am also pushing him to be involved in sports of his interest. My husband and I have realized that slowly the school is shaping our children to be well rounded in their developments. Congratulations Abi!
Yesterday also was the Talent Show Finale. Some of us parents thought it was a competition but it was not. It was just a showcase of talents of pupils form Grade 2 to Grade 5. It was entertaining and amazing esp. when I saw traditional musical instruments from Asian countries being played by the students. It was just so close to the heart.
So this is the bunch of talented students from Grade 2 to Grade 5. Sorry my shot was shabby and I didn't capture everyone.
There were 16 performances.
and this is Abi and Idrees doing their pen tapping talent.
I just prayed they won't commit mistakes. They didn't , I guess.
Or if they did, they had handled it quite well.
What a year that was! It was filled with uncertainties, adjustments, confusions then later on everything went perfectly ok. Whenever I am asked by my co parents in GEMS if I am happy with how the school is doing, I just say as long as my kids look happy and well adjusted then I am fine.
Here comes MYP! Another challenge for everyone of us. Looking forward with hope and optimism.
Have a great weekend!





No comments:
Post a Comment