We also had the chance to attend the once a year Parent's Teacher's meeting for the first quarter report card issuance in Colegio san Agustine (Binan) and one would see that the academic competition was given the highest premium in the school. The list of honor students, academic awardees, extra curricular awards etc etc were posted in almost every places. I think this is common in our schools in the Philippines. The purpose I am sure is to encourage their students to strive more as well as to give due recognition to those who gave their best efforts to to be on top of the class. I didn't see anything wrong with that, in fact I admire those students who excel and who make their parents' really proud with their achievements.
XSN and GWA however are quite different from other traditional schools. In fact, I found similarity between them when it comes to their PTC; one major thing I noticed was the relax atmosphere in the school.
When I had my first PTC in Xavier, I never saw any honor roll posts, I observed how relaxed parents were, teachers were very objective with their feedbacks, they knew their students in their personal level and they were sympathetic. They had time to laugh with the parents, they listened when a mother would vent out her frustrations over her kid's behavior towards homework and they were so generous with their praises and suggestions to further develop the kids. But that's Xavier School. :)
I have the same feeling of ease in GWA during their PTC's despite being with different races and wealthy families. There are only ten Filipino students (four families) in GWA, majority are British/ Europeans, so you could imagine during PTCs that I am surrounded with tall, blondes and heavily "accented" people. But you'd also see a lot of smiles everywhere esp. from the teachers. Feedbacks are focused on your child's performance, progress and rooms for development/enhancement.
Yesterday, we had our PTC for Primary School Program (Grade 1-5) but this time it was our children who did the discussion/presentation to the parents. It was a different experience for me and it was fun. I also had the time to take some photos in the lobby while waiting for our turn.
See our own flag up there? Flags are all around the lobby.
This is the lobby, my view from the coffee shop. It's resembles a hotel. The front view is more amazing. If only I had the photos. Next time, maybe.
See how relax Abi is?
I always wear my parent's ID although they are not strict with that, because if I don't I might be mistaken as an Assistant Teacher. You see and I am very proud of this, almost all the assistant teachers are Filipina. They are the preferred AT. :) And they are nice to me. :)
This is it for now. Nothing much is happening nowadays.



No comments:
Post a Comment