Let's face it. When you are a working mother the tendency is to depend on your helpers a lot. I should know. I was like that. I remember filling our cupboards with supplies good for three weeks, and refilling it every two weeks. As expected, canned goods, bottled juices, soup, flour, pancake mixes and meat breadings would expire without us even knowing it. And often, I would discover hotdog, ham and bacon buried under the freshly bought frozen deli. Not mentioning anymore rotten vegetables and fruits.
(http://www.thekitchn.com)
When my helpers left for good, I checked my cabinet of non foods and lo and behold, I was shocked to see bars of soap, boxes of floor wax, dish washing liquids and glass cleaning materials pushed at the darkest side of the cabinet. And this one upset me the most --- bottles (BOTTLES) of Sarah's multi vitamins and coat shine supplement were still sealed and untouched, meaning, Sarah was not getting her supplements for a long time but we kept on buying assuming that vitamins are faithfully administered on schedule. Tsk tsk.
Now that I am in control of the household, I keep my supplies to the minimum. There is no reason to buy a lot since I could easily go to the nearby groceries and wet market if needed. There is adjustment, yes, esp. for hubby who delights on seeing cans of spam, luncheon meat, corned beef and frozen foods on stock.
I am glad we have now greatly lessened our food wastage, we have also lowered our electricity (from Php7k to Php 5k) and water consumption (from Php1,500 to Php700.00). This, of course is still incomparable to the loss income due to my resignation from work, but at least I am in control of what's going on in the house.
Household helps are angels, no doubt about it, but if we depend on them too much we will never know how much we are losing unnecessarily. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment